Saturday, November 5, 2022

The Gibbering Cockatrice


 I never even considered the possibility that I could draw heroes and monsters for a living until my daughter Jahnavi inspired and encouraged me with her own interest in fantasy in different genres. It re-ignited the 14-year-old boy I had almost totally forgotten --- or suppressed. (And there is plenty about 14-year-old boys that needs suppressing, but that's something else altogether...) We had the opportunity through those quiet pandemic years to cultivate our fandom for D&D (we love the Mighty Nein), and for me to finally realize that there is nothing that I can't do with a pencil or pen; I have denied myself the possibility of making a vocation of that skill set. 

Maybe I needed the years it has taken to develop an appropriate sense of humility about my relative gifts, and an acceptance that being a good colleague and team member is really the main priority for any commercial shop. Maybe I've finally grown up enough to be what I always wanted to be when I was young.

No comments: